Thursday, December 16, 2010

Artist Interview with Jen Ashmen

This week, it's my pleasure to introduce you to the original artwork of Jen Ashmen. Jen is a professional, fine artist living in southern New Jersey. Her current preferred medium is ink, but she also enjoys working in oil and watercolor. Jen's colorful and bold murals can be found throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania.   

"More than anything else, I enjoy drawing images of the world around me." - Jen Ashmen

Orange Masks - Oil on 48" x 24" canvas

Who are some of your favorite famous artists?  
 
There are so many famous artists that I adore! I love the motion and emotion of Dorothea Tanning's oil paintings. Edward Hopper's use of color is magnificent. I enjoy Herakut's thought provoking wall paintings. Remedious Varo is also an artist I greatly admire.


Always Changing - Watercolor and ink on 5" x 8.5" paper

Who are some of your favorite peers making art today? 

Emily Carroll, Junko Mizuno, Barbara Maxwell, and Marc Sijan are currently creating stunning art that is unlike anything that came before them.  


Papyrus Peacock - Ink on 5" x 5" cotton paper

How long do you typically work in any one sitting - do you need to take a lot of breaks or do you work for hours and hours at a time? 

I typically work for three hours at a time, break, and then work three more hours. Some paintings, like my small plein air watercolors, only take three hours to complete. 



Second Tree from the Right - Watercolor and colored pencil on 8" x 10" canvas board


What are your feelings on the state of Art in the world today? 

Artists today are some of the luckiest of all time. The internet has afforded artists the ability to speak directly to their audience, without the filter of an art dealer or gallery.  Immediately after finishing a work I can post it online. The work will be seen by hundreds of people before it is even a day old. While there is nothing like looking at a painting in person, social networking allows artists to share exactly what they are creating when they are creating it.



 Princes - Oil on 48" x 36" canvas

If you could try any new medium or art-form, what would it be?

I've always wanted to branch out into more sophisticated digital art. My Photoshop and Illustrator skills are more than adequate, but I would love to learn animation and 3-D rendering.

-------------------------------------

Thank you so much, Jen, for taking the time to share a little more about yourself, your work and your interests. I really appreciate your take on the effect the internet has had on the world of Art and I couldn't agree more! 
- Jessica Torrant

JEN'S LINKS 
ETSY - jashme.etsy.com  

2 comments:

  1. It's a rainy afternoon and browsing my favorite blogs. Thank you introducing me to this artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peacock in ink, wow! This is a super write up with splendid images. I love the free use of paint in the mottled wall behind Orange Masks, right on Jen. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete